Tuesday, February 13, 2007

COLEY'S CARIBEAN CUISINE

300 E. Florence Ave.
Inglewood, Ca 90301
www.coleyscuisine.com

Well, I decided to try something new today. My friend was in the Inglewood area so we went to Coley's Caribbean restaurant on Florence. My brother used to talk about this place when he used to work near the area. I recall him raving about the oxtail stew and that was something that I really wanted to try (Oxtail is the SHIT). The menu had many things that I wanted to dip my face into but my goal was to get the oxtail. So on the menu they had lemonade, you were limited to only one refill, so I was planning on some really good homemade, fresh squeezed lemonade, but when it arrived at my table it was just plain old pink lemonade from the soda machine. What a disappointment!

Like I said earlier, I really wanted to try the oxtail, but they have a lunch buffet on Mondays thru Fridays. It was a hard decision, but since I have never eaten there, I really wanted to sample everything, so I went with the buffet. It was a small buffet with three hot entrees (jerk chicken, goat curry, chicken curry), sides (mac n cheese, beans n rice, steamed veggies, potato salad, fried bread, fried plantains and soup) and dessert (fresh cut fruit).


So this is what I got; (clockwise) beans n rice, mac n cheese, jerk chicken, goat curry and chicken curry. The mac n cheese was really good. It was thick with burnt crusty edge, very cheesy. The jerk chicken was moist and flavorful. You could taste many spices with the goat curry and the meat was just falling off the bone, yummy! The chicken curry had a different flavor, but it was just as good. The fried plantains were just decent. They were a little dried compared to that of the usual Cuban plantains that I am accustomed to.

I also got some soup that looked BOMB! It was thick and dark brown, almost like a roux. This was really good, it had a smokey char flavor to it and a hint of spiciness. I wanted to lick up every last drop. I didn't know the name of the soup, so I asked my waiter what kind of soup was it. She said "Soup? What soup? No honey, that there is the JERK SAUCE for the chicken!" I couldn't believe it! I turned red, like I've been drinking alcohol. I couldn't believe that I was drinking some damn sauce! I that shit was so funny that we couldn't stop laughing. I was so full after the so-called soup, but I had to try the jerk chicken the way it was supposed to be eaten. How could I not try it, right?
Well so here it is, drum roll please.......... Jerk chicken! Chicken was good, soup was good, together it was marvelous!
It was a fun experience. I would definitely like to come back again because I felt like I had some unfinished business to take care of! ~Bootsi



1 comment:

  1. Should have tried the ox tail soup. Then again, it sounded like the jerk sauce soup was pretty good, huh! Hahahahahahahaha! Maybe next time you can ask them to throw in some ox tail in your "soup".

    T.C.

    ReplyDelete