Tuesday, September 25, 2007

SLOOPY'S BEACH CAFE

3416 Highland Ave.
Manhattan Beach

I've been trying to make it to Sloopy's ever since my friend Danny told me that Luke Walton (click to watch, under NBA Life: Luke Walton) of the Lakers named this place his best place for shakes. With a name that I had a hard time remembering, months passed by with no visit in sight. Finally, on a bright sunny weekend afternoon a group of us headed West on Rosecrans and made our way to Sloopy's Beach Cafe.

Sloopy's is located on busyass Highland Ave. where you have to deal with the usual shitty beach parking. With no parking in site, we had to park in the structure and walk down to Sloopy's. Just because of the location I expected it to have waiters, but to my surprise you just place your order and pay then they would call out your name when it's ready. It feels like your eating in someones patio or backyard. There was no roof, just an open ceiling with sun beams slapping you on the back of the neck.

I got up to the counter and ordered a peanut butter shake (of course I had to order a shake) and a mushroom & cheddar burger. The shake came in a smaller cup than what I had expected for $4 but when i tasted it, oooh boooy was it worth it. Peanut buttery goodness all up in my mouth. It had the perfect consistency where it took minimal effort to suck it through the straw. The burger was really good too. Their burger patties are made with Angus beef, so I guess this isn't you typical burger, it's definitely on another level. Add to it some crunchy fries and I had myself a great meal. The wraps and sandwiches that my friends had looked ordinary, so stick with the burgers.

I've been counting down the days to go back to Sloopy's for another shake. Remember how I was bitching about how small the shake came, well I couldn't even finish it! haha ~ Bootsi



1 comment:

  1. Sloopy's is unusual on many levels but has great food. California chicken sandwich is excellent. Your best parking bet in the vicinity is the parking structure on the North East corner of Rosecrans and Highland. A quarter still goes a long way here (I think 30min)

    ReplyDelete