Monday, May 14, 2007

SIMON LA

8555 W. Beverly Blvd
Los Angeles, CA 90048
www.sofitella.com
My friend and I have had Simon LA on our to do list for a while now, ever since we found out that they served cotton candy for dessert. Located right next to the Beverly Center, in the Sofitel Hotel, this place breathes hip and elegance, so we fitted right in. haha

I could not recall what we ordered, but it was like a prefixed lunch. We ordered two different lunches, at $25 each, so we could have a taste of each other's goodies. The lunch came altogether on one big plate with little plates on top. My friend's lunch consisted of roasted tomato gauzpachio soup. I really liked how refreshing the cold soup was, but my friend did not. It tasted like cold tortilla soup. Heirloom tomato and burrata cheese with first pressed olive oil and basil. She said this was really good. The main dish was the surf and turf tacos. The surf was lobster and the turf was beef tenderlion. She really enjoyed them, too. They were really small though. For dessert, it came with a slice of key lime pie. That was really good, but not as good as the lemon gelato pie from Pizza Mozza.

My lunch consisted of a Belgian endive and watercress salad with caramelized walnuts, Fuji apples and point reyes bleu cheese. It came in one of those Chinese togo boxes. This was a refreshing salad. My appetizer was the bluefin tuna tartar with lemongrass oil and ginger rice crisps. The tuna tasted fresh and the lemongrass oil went really well with it. My main dish was the roasted halibut with quinoa, currants and pine nuts. The halibut had a little fishy smell to it, but was still good. The fish had a crunch on the outside and just flaked right up when I stabbed it with my fork. For dessert, it came with peanut butter fudge sundae. This was OK because by the time I was ready to eat the ice cream it was almost half melted! It did pack a mean peanut butter flavor.

This place was cool but next time I would just order off thier regular menu. The waiters were cool, too and I really liked the interior.

1 comment:

  1. I was introduced to Simon via Simon Las Vegas, and have visited the one here in Los Angeles several times. Simon's food doesn't blow me away, but i definitely enjoy it. Your photos look good and the food sounds tasty. Nice honest coverage.

    ReplyDelete